- Don’t swim when you have diarrhea;
- Don’t swallow pool, lake, pond or river water;
- Practice good hygiene. Shower with soap before and after swimming;
- Wash your hands thoroughly after using the restroom or changing diapers;
- Take children on bathroom breaks or change diapers often;
- Change diapers in a bathroom, not at poolside or beachside;
- Avoid swimming, diving or other activities in obviously stagnant freshwater bodies when temperatures are high and water levels are low; and
- Hold your nose or wear nose plugs when underwater or when diving or swimming in hot, shallow freshwater bodies.